Friday, January 20, 2012

Weekly Post #3

Chune of the Week:


Vybz Kartel--Summer time
(Bring yuh umbrella cos di sun ah bun)






OK. It's not exactly summertime. Buttt the weather here in Ghana is hot but not unpleasant...yet. It's the "dry season," but March is said to be VERY hot...but I digress.


Week 1.



I am in GHANA!!! OH. EM. GEE!!!
This is surreal. I can't believe I'm really here!! 


What a journey it has been already.
The flight was well. It took of a little late (like an hour -__-), but nonetheless it was a smooth 10 hour flight. I slept a majority of the time. When I was't passed out I was eating and talking to this awesome guy who sat next to me on the flight. He works for the government doing IT work all over the globe. Literally everywhere. He was awesome. We talked about our families, dogs, travels. Super cool guy.



After I got off the flight I got my baggage (took a little while, I got scared!) and then boarded the bus.


Arrived at the hotel. We'll be staying here until Saturday and the moving into our respective dormrooms/home stays. The hotel is super nice. The food is good. AND THEY HAVE FREE WIFI!!! (perfect segway to this awesome story I cant tell).


SOOO...when I discovered we had free wifi, I was stoked. I open my computer, attempt to boot it up...and


black screen. beep...beep...beep.
what. the. heck.
A bit of panic.


Some girls I met told me to charge it to see if it would work. After dinner I check it.


black screen. beep...beep...beep.
what. the. heck.
more panic.


an hour later. FULL ON PANIC.

I used my roommates computer to check what the problem is. My RAM decided to act a fool! So, I being the innovator that I am, managed to use my earring to unscrew the back of my computer. Successfully I was able to remove the ram, shake it so it would get its life together, and the put it in. I powered on my laptop. AND IT CAME ON!!!!! CHALE! I'm so happy. I cant even express it. I almost cried. What are the chances that my laptop would break on the first day!!!



And here I type on my beloved laptop to my beloved readers. 


So where do I begin. The food in Ghana is delicious. Spicy and tasty. I am pleased.
The people in my program are cool! 
I am pleased so far. 
We dont start school until the monday after the one comings...the 27th I believe. They have so many activities planned for us that force us to get over the awkward phase and get to know the country better.


Today we had a pretty long orientation, and then we went to the mall.
I got the chip for my blackberry and its up and running BUT my bbm doesnt work...nor does my e-mail. So I'm going to fix that on saturday along with getting a modem for my laptop so that I stay updated on the intertubes. I also need a new iphone cord. THE ACCRA MALL AS A APPLE STORE!!! And you guys thought I was going to a super underdeveloped country. *kisses teeth*.


Today (Friday) we had another incredibly long day of orientation. Then we went to dinner at this Ghanian restaurant. Yummy. And then the dancing begins. Ghanians got the moves. :) :) 


Any who. I'll update again sometime next week.




Love you all.




-Beezy

No comments:

Post a Comment